The Lodge @ Shirewater
|Sleeps||Bath/shower rooms||Outside space||Pets||Sea views||Price Band||Leisure Club Membership|
|1||2 + cot||2||Private garden and use of 5 acres||No||Yes, distant||B||Yes|
Furnished, equipped, styled and presented to 5 star GOLD standards as set by Visit Britain and awarded a GOLD award by Coastal Retreats for 2013
Located on the outskirts of this pretty coastal village, just a short stroll to the beach, The Lodge is an independent wing of an early 20th century country house which has been lovingly refurbished by its owner. Anne, the owner of the Lodge, born in Glasgow and inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, has influenced the interior design style that pays homage to the Arts & Craft features of the main house. The result is a clever blend of contemporary wallcoverings, beautiful fabrics, quirky items, oak and painted furniture, relaxing colours with surprising splashes of colour and up to the minute sanitary ware - all of which would not look out of place on the pages of household interior magazines
Approached via a long gravelled driveway its parkland setting offers ample parking and the use of its superb 5 acres of land including river (with swing), orchard and woodland walks.
Within walking distance of Eleanors Barn for delicious cappucinos and a browse through some of the upmarket gifts/accessories in the little emporium. Walk in the other direction and you have a couple of pubs, The Dunstanburgh Castle Inn for good food, two little village shops and the golf club at your disposal.
Internally, the living accommodation oozes country house charm. A truly magical 'coast meets country' escape!
- Large open plan lounge/kitchen/dining room with patio doors to the garden and cosy log burner set
- Spacious upstairs master bedroom with en suite bathroom and large walk in wet room style shower (big enough for two!) and free standing over sized bath (big enough for two!)
- Downstairs family bathroom
- Large timber decking and private garden space with garden furniture
- The use of 5 acres of woodland, orchard, lawn and river frontage
Special features and feel of this property
- Superb country setting within the grounds of Shirewater on the edge of Embleton village
- Newly renovated and redesigned
- Cast iron log burner
- Lovely sea views over the garden (sea about 1/4 mile away)
- Professionally designed interior featuring designer guild fabrics and wallcoverings with a Art Deco theme in tune with the period of the house
- Feature master super king size bed. This can be easily converted into twin beds (Please state at time of booking how you want this made up otherwise it is 'as found')
- Space for a travel cot in the master bedroom
- Z bed can be made available for £25 and this made up and placed on the ground floor in the lounge area - suitable for children/teenagers
- Wifi internet access/phone/large flat screen TV with freeview
- Parking for several cars
- Safe storage for bikes, golf clubs etc
- 2 adult bikes available for free use - should be serviced and checked for you
- Outdoor eating area with table, chairs and BBQ
- Just a short drive to Alnwick, Craster and Beadnell
- Full central heating throughout plus log burner in open plan lounge/kitchen/dining room
- DeLonghi Caffe Treviso expresso machine (especially for coffee lovers)
- Please note that mobile reception can be difficult at this cottage and in Embleton generally. There is a landline at the cottage and we will give you the number before your arrival
Ideal for couples with or without children. Ideal for two friends or family members. Its a perfect quiet romantic retreat for those couples looking for something a bit special.
With room for a cot in the Master bedroom, this cottage would also work well for a small family. The Master bedroom can be set up as a double or a twin upon request
Coastal Retreats Candid Comments (Giving you the only down sides we can think of about a property before you book!)
The Lodge is attached to the owner's house but privacy should not be an issue, although you may see the owner walking past to the greenhouse occasionally! Mobile reception can be erratic at the Lodge and in Embleton generally, but there is a landline phone.
Price Guide 2013 £ Sterling
|Season||Short Break||7 Nights|
'We've stayed at another Coastal Retreat property and have had another wonderful holiday here in Embleton. The location is great as we spend a lot of time on Embleton beach and like to visit Craster and nearby Beadnell. The Lodge is perfect and would recommend to any couple looking for somewhere special to stay'
' We loved the peaceful location, did the walk down to Embleton beach several times, spent hours on the deck reading books and drinking wine and even ventured to the Ocean Club which was a wonderful surprise. We went in the evening when there were no children around and it was a perfect way to round off the day. The dimmed lights, the quiet pool and the loungers made it quite a romantic place for couples like us!'
'Thanks to Anne for looking after us and to Fiona and the team in the office for answering all of our questions and making the booking procedure so easy. The cottage was perfect, so thanks for guiding us to the Lodge for our special anniversay holiday'
'Just writing to say thank you, we had a fantastic time and were absolutely in love with the Lodge. It was beautiful'
'Everytime Coastal Retreats opens another cottage, we make a booking and look forward to staying somewhere different. The Lodge has met all of our expectations and more. It is a in a beautiful setting and the interior decor is superb - the best Coastal Retreat yet!'
'Our honeymoon has been memorable and special. We will be back. We might even make this an annual event! Thank you so much for the arrival champagne, it was a lovely wedding gift'
'Quite simply one of the best self catering cottages we've stayed in (we've been self catering for the last 25 years!)
'This has been our best holiday in ten years and we plan to return'
'We love Coastal Retreats' approach to its customers and how the staff recognise that holidays are so important. We felt looked after from the moment we made the booking to the minute we left the Lodge. Even a follow up email on our return was delivered with professionalism and made us want to re book a holiday at once. We are looking forward to our next visit in a few months time. Thanks to Anne at the Lodge and to all the girls in the office -everyone has been so helpful'