Harbour Master's House
|Bedrooms||Sleeps||Bath/Shower rooms||Sea Views||Pets||Outdoor||Price Band||Leisure Club Membership|
Furnished, equipped, styled and presented to 5 star Visit Britain standards and awarded a SILVER award by Coastal Retreats for 2015
The house has recently been refurbished and some of the images here are due to be replaced. New improvements include new beds and bedroom furniture, light fresh decor, gorgeous plantation shutters and new carpeting on stairs and on first floor
From its elevated position above the small harbour of Craster village, this character cottage offers charm, style and, from its dining area and deck, the most breathtaking views of the rocky coastline, beaches and the captivating ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle
This stone cottage was formerly the salt and fish store for the nearby smokery, still famous today for it's traditional Craster Kippers. It is very handy for the new gastro pub in the village, the Jolly Fisherman.
Craster, itself, is still a key player in the catching of crabs and lobsters on this coastline and the fruits of the fishermen's efforts are on sale in the local pub for all to enjoy. The immense character and quirkiness of Harbourmaster's House will delight those looking for period holiday accommodation and the breathtaking sea view will impress.
Simple styling, using oak and reclaimed timber furniture, white painted kitchen units and contemporary bathrooms, sits comfortably against the backdrop of original features and careful renovation which make this cottage stand out. The external patio/terrace for sitting and dining is the perfect place to watch the harbour activity and the changing sea from sunrise to sunset with the familiar outline of Dunstanburgh Castle in the background.
For further images of The Harbour Master's, please see The Gallery
- Living room with open fire, TV/DVD and two squashy sofas
- Narrow galley kitchen/dining area with integrated appliances
- 2 downstairs bedrooms - 1 double, 1 twin (suitable for children but with full size single beds)
- Downstairs bathroom with freestanding bath, underfloor heating and separate shower
- Upstairs Master bedroom with king size bed and small ensuite shower room
- Outside split level decked terrace with table and chairs for 4 people and stunning views
- Private gate from the terrace giving access to the harbour below (a bit precarious for children)
- Parking for 1 car on the drive of the cottage. A further space on the private road leading to the harbour just outside of the cottage
- Please note, mobile reception is almost impossible in Craster but there is a landline at this cottage and free wi-fi
Special features and feel of this property
- The most impressive, far-reaching views from the kitchen/dining room and the master bedroom
- Original beams, exposed stone work, original fire opening, slate flooring and other architectural features
- Village location - close to small shop, Tourist Information Centre, The newly refurbished Jolly Fisherman pub, the famous Robsons Smokery and the Shoreline Cafe
- Interesting quirky artwork collection on display and within a few steps of local artist Mick Oxley's art gallery and studio
- Within site of the iconic landmark of Dunstanburgh Castle
- Exterior decked terrace - ideal for summer dining and star gazing
- Featuring a sweet ground floor children's twin bedroom stuffed with 'children's stuff'
- The Coastal Retreats sponsored children's playground in the village is just a few minutes walk from the Harbour Master's House.
- Ocean Leisure Club Guest Membership ( Entry fee applies)
- Heating is electricheating, underfloor heating on tiled flooring in kitchen/dining room and bathroom plus an open fire in lounge
Children at Harbour Masters
More suited to older children as there is little outdoor space and the deck is split level. However, there is a lovely twin bedroom which children will love. Travel cot and Highchair are available on request
Location and Locality (Map)
In the very centre of this quaint fishing village and with the most spectacular position overlooking the iconic Dunstanburgh Castle. Craster has a pub, restaurant, tearoom, famous Kipper smokehouse and popular Mick Oxley art gallery. The Jolly Fisherman pub is a superb place to eat and drink but do try to book in advance!
Two couples wanting a village location or one family. Please note that the twin bedroom is quite small and is more suitable for children and the living quarters more suitable for 4 than for 6 guests as the dining/kitchen area is quite narrow. Not ideal for toddlers as there is no garden, but it is a superb place to stay for couples, families with older children, bird watchers, walkers and sea lovers.
Featured in the Independent Traveller Magazine Top Seaside Chic Retreats
Coastal Retreats Candid Comments (Giving you the only down sides we can think of about a property before you book!)
As there is no gas in the area, the heating here is a mixture of wallmounted electric and night storage heating, underfloor heating and an open fire -not as controllable as full central heating . Quirky unpretentious house with character which doesn't achieve a Gold rating due to a few rough edges (its a renovated salt store) and the size of the two ground floor bedrooms. Mobile reception is almost impossible in Craster. There is a parking bay for one car and its quite tight. The second parking space is on a first come first served basis on the road outside the cottage leading down to the harbour
Mobile reception is impossible at the house and in Craster in general
Price Guide £ sterling
|Seasons 2015||Short Break||7 Nights|
'We walked past this cottage last summer and thought then that it would be a lovely place to stay. The photos in your brochure of the Harbour Master's House look so inviting that we knew we had to make a booking. We have not been disappoointed. The cottage is fantastic and we really enjoyed waking up in the morning to that fabulous sound of the sea. We will be back without a doubt'
'Two words........superb holiday'
'The view will bring us back to this cottage. The service from Coastal Retreats was highly professional. The coastline here is stunning. We are in no doubt that we will return. 10/10!!'
'We have stayed in 4 Coastal Retreats and 2 Country Retreats - all of them completely different but all with a similar degree of comfort and sense of style and good taste. The Harbour Master's is no exception. The highlight of this cottage is of course the stunning sea and harbour view. On a wild winter's day, this was simply spectacular! We would like to return here in warmer weather when we can sit outside on the deck with our bottle of wine enjoying a lazy summer lunch!'
'Really liked the feel of this cottage. A bit eccletic and very cosy and comfortable'
'Very handy for the Jolly Fisherman. The evening meals were really delicious and well presented. We ate there twice and had the best lobster ever'
'Everyone walking past picked up one of the Coastal Retreats postcards on the side of the house -like we did last year'