Think Hunting Lodge meets continental, ‘Riviera Maison’, styling, on the edge of the very popular Northumberland conservation village of Bamburgh. The award-winning architecture of this exclusive 8 house cul-de-sac is complemented, in Castlegate, by an equally outstanding interior – all just a short walk from unspoilt beaches and the iconic Bamburgh Castle.
Attention to detail is abundant in the stonework and architectural design of ths house, and the exquisitely furnished interior has a warm but elegant ambience. Special features catch your eye; beautiful handcrafted stone fireplaces with log burning stoves, elegant oak flooring, designer light fittings and a superb bespoke oak staircase. Natural light abounds in the open-plan lounge areas through to a bespoke luxury kitchen, perfect for entertaining, which opens out to the large rear garden with stone patio area – a perfect sun trap for outdoor dining.
This detached holiday home truly sets the tone for a first class holiday experience. From Castlegate, guests can easily walk to Bamburgh’s castle and beach, coffee shop, gourmet fish and game restaurants, local market garden, friendly local butcher and pubs, then return to the tranquil setting of this luxurious holiday home
- Impressive architectural standards with two dressed stone fireplaces, elegant oak staircase, high quality handcrafted designer kitchen and Villeroy and Boch bathroom fittings
- Superb quiet location on the edge of the village with far-reaching countryside views and some glimpses of Bamburgh Castle
- Large double-ended living room with a gas logburner style stove at one end and a real log burner at the other
- Contemporary English Hunting Lodge styling with luxurious fabrics, designer light fittings and soft furnishings
- Paint finishes from Little Greene Paint Company and Fired Earth, natural oak flooring, oak doors and staircase
- Bespoke painted kitchen with integrated appliances, twin bowl sink, granite worktops, wine cooler and Falcon range cooker
- Guest Leisure Club Membership (admission fee applies)
- Fabulous master bedroom with large ensuite wet room and views over the rear garden towards the Cheviots
- Lounge with ‘snug’ area and gas fire to one side and a lovely log burning stove to the other side
- Large spacious dining kitchen with door to garden
- Utility room
- Hallway cupboard for extra storage
- Grand Master Bedroom with king size bed and large ensuite featuring freestanding contemporary bath, enormous walk-in wet room shower and separate WC
- Double Bedroom with ensuite bathroom
- Double bedroom with king size bed with adjacent shower room (in the eaves so no hanging space )
- Driveway and parking for 3 cars
- Large lawned rear garden and patio with outdoor furniture
To see how Castlegate sits in relation our other Retreat at Mizen Court, The Mast House, see the site plan
Please note floor plans are not to scale but for illustration purposes only
Prices and Availability
Occupying the largest plot at the head of this quiet cul-de-sac, Castlegate’s large south-west facing lawned rear garden overlooks open countryside to the Cheviot Hills, with truly beautiful sunset views. From the other side of the house, notably the luxuriously appointed master bathroom, there are glimpses of the castle itself. The house is within a 1 minute walk of The Mizen Head Hotel which has recently become renowned for its excellent seafood restaurant.
There are other pubs and restaurants in the village along with a church, shops and tearooms and award winning Grace Darling Museum. The enormous castle dominates the village and is well worth a look around. At the foot of the castle still stands the village cricket pitch and behind, to the east is one of the best beaches, arguably in the whole of the country, for its long stretches of white sand. Other facilities in the village include a tennis court and childrens park, Grace Darling Museum and a handful of speciality shops
Please note the google location shows the plot before the house was built. For further information on the area, see our Bamburgh pages
Please note: This house is a family owned holiday home and as such is unsuitable for holding large parties. Small gatherings are, of course, welcome but no ‘open house’ please! Tents, hot tubs and mobile homes on the property are not permitted. Please refer to our Large Group advice list for further information.
See here what’s included in our Retreats stays
No pets allowed at Castlegate
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm ( 3pm from Nov-March)
Ideal for up to 3 couples holidaying together as each can have independent bathroom facilities and ample communal spaces. A larger family with older children would be very happy here with all amenities being within easy walking distance.
Whilst there are no specific facilities for children at Castlegate, they are made welcome and will fully enjoy the garden and the proximity to the beach. Perhaps more suited to older children, but a travel cot (please bring your own cot linen), and highchair can be provided on request.
Full central heating with logburner in one sitting area and gas-fired logburner in the snug
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
Bedroom 3 has no clothes hanging space, just chest of drawers, and limited headroom in places.
The TV in the main lounge has no DVD player attached. There is a DVD player in the master bedroom though – bring your favourite bed time movie!
This house is a new build at the edge of what is effectively a very small contemporary development so is not your traditional holiday cottage! However it has all the benefits of a modern luxury home and oozes style, so for most people there is no issue. The garden, views and interior design touches make up for this!
Lovely cottage, fantastic presentation. Really nice decor. Excellent facilities in the cottage, home from home.
Very upmarket property, really enjoyed our stay and made the most of being in Bamburgh.