House in the North
Elford, near Bamburgh
More famous as the much written-about rural home of acclaimed journalist, writer, funny lady and ‘Wife in the North‘ blogger, Judith O’Reilly, the aptly named House in the North is now used as her family’s holiday home. A stylish and characterful member of our collection, it is just a couple of minutes’ drive from Bamburgh, the castle and glorious beach, and its five bedrooms and living spaces welcome 10 guests with ease. Throw in the large lawned garden and open views – with the sea and Farne Islands in the distance – and guests will easily understand what convinced its London-loving city girl owner that it’s actually not so grim up North in Northumberland after all.
Guests might be interested to follow the humorous story of Judith O’Reilly’s times in the house and her initially reluctant love affair with the area in the copy of her book, Wife in the North, which was actually written in this house, and which is left in the cottage to read during their stay. Judith’s new book (2018), Killing State, was also written in this cottage and readers may enjoy spotting the numerous local references in the text.
Please note, this property is temporarily unavailable whilst major repair and refurbishment work is carried out. We will release 2019 dates as soon as we are able to.
- Large and characterful house great for family or friends getting together
- Quiet farm hamlet location between Bamburgh and Seahouses
- Large country kitchen with granite worktops and Aga - ideal for family meals
- Master bedroom suite with walk-in shower and freestanding bath with coastal views
- Ground floor bedroom and ensuite wet room would suit those less mobile
- Two sitting rooms both with logburners
- Children's playroom off the kitchen with table football, TV, keyboard and lots of toys
- Lots of garden areas for children's games and eating al fresco
- Guest Leisure Club Membership (admission fee applies)
- Large dining kitchen with Aga, additional oven/hob, cream shaker style units, twin bowl sinks, black granite worktops and American style fridge freezer
- Living room with open fire logburner
- Additional smaller study/reading lounge with multi-fuel burner
- Ground floor Master bedroom with kingsize bed and ensuite wetroom/WC
- Utility/Laundry room
- Games room with log fire and TV
- Boot room
- Master bedroom with king size bed and ensuite bathroom/WC
- Bedroom 3 with twin beds
- Bedroom 4 with twin beds
- Bedroom 5 with huge ‘Emperor’ size (7′) bed
- Family bathroom serving bedrooms 3-5
- Parking for several cars
- Several lawned garden areas and dining terrace with views to the sea in the distance
Please note floor plans are not to scale but for illustration purposes only
Prices and Availability
House in the North is three stone-built farm cottages, joined together to make one rather large house, situated in Elford hamlet on one of the quiet back roads between Seahouses and Bamburgh. The hamlet has no facilities as such and is simply a collection of farm buildings within a working farm environment along a quiet country road. Bamburgh and Seahouses are a short drive away.
Please note: This house is a family owned holiday home and as such is unsuitable for holding large parties. Small gatherings are, of course, welcome but no ‘open house’ please! Tents, hot tubs and mobile homes on the property are not permitted. Please refer to our Large Group advice list for further information.
See here what’s included in our Retreats stays
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking and pets are not permitted at this cottage
Facilities particular to House in the North
Aga, as well as conventional electric cooker, Football goal, sandpit, play boat, indoor games room with table football and keyboard
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm ( 3pm from Nov-March)
Ideal for 2 families or a group of friends wanting a quiet location, plenty of space and proximity to beaches.
Achieving our 5 star rating in this area, children will love the safe large lawned garden with football goal, sandpit and play boat. There is ample space to run around and a super games room off the kitchen, with football table, keyboard and other indoor toys to keep them amused. A travel cot (please bring your own cot linen) and highchair are available on request
Full central heating and three logburners
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
This cottage is quirky, eclectic and fabulous, but as an old house, some of its most characterful features may not be everyone’s idea of perfection if you like things brand spanking new! The gardens are accessed over the owner’s private driveway which is occasionally used by the neighbours’ car to access their house, however, the driveway is gated. Please note, all duvets and pillows are high quality feather and down, so may be unsuitable for those with allergic conditions.
Just perfect for our family get together to celebrate my parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary. Everyone was happy!
Loved the view over the fields, particularly as I could lie in the bath and gaze out to sea!
We have just arrived home from a fantastic holiday at "House in the North". What a great house it is -very quirky and lots of space to spread out! - October 2015
A great space for our annual meet-up of old friends. Lots of walks on the beach and cooking up some big meals in that wonderful kitchen. Thanks
A great website with some lovely cottages. House in the north suited us in terms of size and location. We had paddle boarding and kite surfing planned plus a booked dinner party in the house. The kitchen was perfect for the party and we had our pre dinner drinks in the garden. Really special weekend and we didn't want to leave on the Monday morning. Could have spent the week there