near Lanchester, Durham
Open the door to this mid-terraced country cottage, and you won’t fail to sense the taste and attention to detail with which it has been renovated by its new owners. Set in open countryside, overlooking fields, the cottage belies its origins as a former worker’s cottage for the nearby Consett Iron Company, built at the turn of the 20th Century. Now, this high-specification, light and spacious holiday home can comfortably sleep 4 guests, in luxurious ground floor and first floor bedroom suites. The living accommodation is both cosy and airy, leading onto a contemporary landscaped garden with open countryside views.
There are lovely walks and cycle rides from the door, with the local village of Lanchester, with numerous facilities, being within 20 minutes on foot. Add to that, a 15 minute car ride will take you to the centre of Durham city, and guests will be well-placed to visit the Durham, Weardale and Tyneside region.
Please note that these are interim photos only. Professional images and a video tour will follow shortly. Now open to guests.
- Rural setting with open views
- High end interior with underfloor heating
- Two spacious and luxurious bedroom suites
- Ground floor bedroom can be made up as superking or twin on request and would suit those with low mobility levels
- Bike storage and ample choice of bike rides from the doorstep
- Just 15 minutes by car from Durham city, so ideal for business or Durham University visitors
- Professionally landscaped rear garden with open views and sitting areas
- Open plan living space has gas-fired log burner for the cooler months
- TV with Netflix
- Double height Entrance Hallway
- Utility room/Cloaks/WC
- Open-plan kitchen/dining/living room with gas-fired logburner
- Bedroom Two with ensuite shower room with walk-in shower (flexible twin or superking beds on request, otherwise will be ‘as found’)
- Master bedroom suite with king size bed, sitting area with views, and bathroom with bath and large walk-in shower
- Front entrance courtyard area
- Rear landscaped garden
- Private parking for 1 car and street parking
- Garage for bike storage
Prices and Availability
Number Nine is one of the row of twelve Hurbuck Cottages, set in open countryside, bordering the pretty Lanchester Valley walk, which runs along the old Consett to Durham railway track. A 20 minute walk will take you to Lanchester village with its shops, pubs and restaurants. There’s the excellent Knitsley farm shop and cafe also within walking distance in the other direction. You’ll be just 15 minutes’ drive from Durham city, and a similar distance to Beamish Open Air Museum. You’ll be spoilt for choice for walks, cycling and coffee shops and further afield the delights of Weardale and Northumberland are easily accessible.
See here for what’s included in our Retreats stays
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
No pets allowed at Number Nine
Additional facilities particular to Number Nine
Underfloor heating, Garage for bike storage. Netflix package included on TV
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm (3pm from Nov-March)
Ideal for those seeking a quiet countryside haven with walks from the doorstep, but still within easy reach of Durham, Weardale and Newcastle. Less than half an hour from Beamish Museum. A great base for cyclists, walkers and nature lovers seeking a little luxury. Guests might like to make this part of a two-centre holiday with a few days at Number Nine before or after a sojourn in one of our coastal or Scottish retreats.
Number Nine welcomes families but there are no special facilities for children. A travel cot (please bring your own bedding) and highchair are available on request.
There is gas underfloor heating throughout the house and a gas-fired logburner in the living room.
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.