In the most atmospheric of settings, against a dramatic backdrop of a cliff of Whinstone rock, Seagrass sits within an enclave of privately owned lodges, facing Bamburgh Castle and the sea, just a mile or so away. Contemporary architecture and modern eco-luxury combine in this holiday home to deliver serious ‘oooh!’ factors. Formerly a quarry for the Budle Hall estate, and the source of the stone with which Bamburgh Castle itself was built, the site now bears little resemblance to its hard working past. Still part of the estate, and up until recently, a safe and sheltered area for the estate’s ewes to lamb, this enchanting spot is now home to 12 carefully designed eco lodges.
Seagrass sits on the higher level close to two other lodges. Inside, a contemporary mix of bold burnished copper and stately greys set the tone. A double height living area with log burner and vast glazed windows flood the spaces with light and allow guests to take in the coastal views of Bamburgh Castle and The Farne Islands in the distance.
Guests at Seagrass share the privilege (with the other lodges) of private access to a further 20 acres of woodland, picnic areas and the breathtaking clifftop viewing point, from where the panoramic coastal vistas are more than worth the climb!
- Striking contemporary interior with original local artwork and bespoke furnishings
- Castle and coastal views from the dining kitchen and private decked area
- Access to communal grassed areas and to a further 20 acres of walks
- Master bedroom with ensuite shower room
- Solar heated water supply
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Living room with log burner, Freesat Internet TV with Netflix and Bose bluetooth sound system
- TVs in both double bedrooms
- All bedrooms have radio/alarm/bluetooth system
- Bluetooth speaker system in bathroom
- Exclusive access for guests to a cliff top viewing point behind the lodge, just a couple of minute's walk, with spectacular views to Bamburgh Castle, The Farne Islands, and on a clear day to Holy Island
- Utility room with sink and washer/dryer
- Private leisure club membership (entry fee applies)
All single storey
- Kitchen/dining area opening onto decking with seating
- Living area with log burner
- Master bedroom with double bed and ensuite shower room
- Bedroom two with double bed
- Bedroom three with twin beds
- Family bathroom with bath and shower enclosure
- Utility room/boot room
- Private decked area with outdoor sofas
- Dedicated parking for two cars
- Use of extensive communal grassed area shared with the other lodges on this exclusive development
- Private footpath access (shared with the other lodges on the site) to 20 acres of woodland and a clifftop picnic and viewing area overlooking the coast
Prices and Availability
Part of the estate belonging to Budle Hall, a grand Georgian house, this crescent-shaped rock bowl was once the estate’s quarry, then more recently, a sheltered spot for the farm’s ewes in lamb. Now it is home to some striking contemporary architecture. Just half a mile or so from Budle Bay, a world renowned wildlife reserve, and just a couple of miles from Bamburgh, it’s a quiet spot but still close to the main attractions of Bamburgh Castle and beach, Holy Island and The Farne Islands.
See what’s included in our Retreats stays
Facilities particular to Seagrass
- Nespresso coffee machine (small capsules)
- Internet TV with Netflix
- TVs in both double bedrooms
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
No pets are permitted at Seagrass
Arrival and departure
Arrival: 4pm (3pm from Nov-March)
For couples or families seeking a peaceful spot with good access to walks. The log burner ensures Seagrass is an all year round Retreat and its proximity to Bamburgh makes it a great base from which to explore Northumberland.
Children at Seagrass
Children are most welcome at Seagrass. They will love the open spaces to run around (with parental supervision) and a travel cot (please bring your own cot linen) and highchair are available on request.
Please note: While we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
Perfect! 10/10 - everything was first class. Coastal Retreats provided a very professional service with the upmost of customer service and experience. The lodge literally had EVERYTHING we needed and more...The welcome pack was also a lovely touch!
Absolutely fabulous! Beautiful location, fantastic lodge. Will definitely stay at either this lodge again or may try another Coastal Retreats cottage.
Tasteful, comfortable and spotlessly clean. Felt at home straight away and couldn't fault the lodge at all. We would love to come back as the location just suited us so well. Thanks for suggesting this to us Coastal Retreats!
I am now inspired to redecorate my house. Just going to copy everything going on in this cottage. I've photographed every room and seriously going to duplicate. It was such a lovely homely and welcoming place to stay. Loved it.
Tranquil and peaceful even in the height of summer. A beautiful place to return to in the evenings. The weather was great so we ate on the balcony most evenings, watching the sunsets
We have had another fabulous holiday with coastal retreats and the property has been fabulous. Thank you to you and your team for all that you do.
The local is fantastic. We loved the lodge and its cool interiors. A very very comfortable stay and we have been very impressed with the service from Coastal Retreats from start to finish