The Old Ale House
Dunstan village, Craster
Your very own drinking establishment just a 10 minute stroll from the sea! We’ve found stripped floorboards and doors, exposed beams and stonework, deep window reveals and a grand inglenook fireplace in this former village ale house, which dates back to the 18th century.
Coastal Retreats and a new owner have recently refurbished this lovely old building to create what is a real gem of a holiday cottage. There are some contemporary twists, and all our trademark luxuries, but many of the old features have been preserved and you’ll find one or two design nods to its previous life serving ales to the locals. But if you still want to go to the pub, then there’s the new ale house of the village just a minute’s walk away, and yet another just 10 minutes away! Fun and quirky, and within easy walking distance of Craster village, this house will offer couples, or up to five guests (with a sofa bed on request), a great getaway.
- Heaps of character with beams, inglenook fireplace, exposed stonework, deep windows, stripped floors and plantation shutters
- Cosy living room with logburner
- Dining kitchen with range cooker, slate floor and worktops and freestanding Smeg fridge/freezer opening onto courtyard garden
- Good sized bathroom with feature claw-footed bath and separate shower cubicle
- Recently refurbished to our Gold Retreats standard
- A short walk from the nearest pub, a 10 minute walk from Craster's pub and eateries
- 10 minute walk to the sea
- Accepts one small well-behaved dog ( small charge applies)
- Guest Ocean Leisure Club membership (entrance fee applies)
- Period furniture pieces, handpainted with Autentico chalk paints
- Sofa bed for 5th child guest in Master bedroom (on request only)
- Entrance hallway
- Living room with logburner
- Down one step to Kitchen/diner
- Utility area
- Rear porch
- Bedroom One with king size bed and single sofa bed to suit child (to be requested at time of booking)
- Bedroom Two with twin beds
- House bathroom with freestanding bath and separate shower cubicle
- Gravelled parking to the front for up to 3 cars
- Gravelled and planted rear courtyard garden area with seating
Prices and Availability
Located in the heart of Dunstan village, on the outer edge of Craster, just a 10 minute walk to the harbour and sea via a pathway. The Old Ale House overlooks the village green and is just a stone’s throw from the modern day village pub serving real ales, or a little more walking takes you to The Jolly Fisherman in Craster.
See here what’s included in our Retreats stays.
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking properties.
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm ( 3pm from Nov-March)
A family or couples who appreciate being within walking distance of a pub and the sea.
Please note if you need the sofa bed for a 5th guest – suit a child only – it must be booked in advance of your stay.
Children at The Old Ale House
Children are welcome at this cottage but the enclosed garden to the rear is gravelled, not lawn and the front garden is not fenced and leads straight onto the road
Travel cot (please bring your own cot linen) and highchair are available on request.
Full oil central heating and log burner
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
Wonderful area, cottage lovely with plenty of character, excellent quality furniture and soft furnishings.
We wanted to be near the sea in Northumberland with our friends, and the cottage was just right for us. Lovely and clean, beautifully decorated and welcoming lights left on for our arrival.
Quirky and fun. We loved it
Beams, stripped floors, interesting artwork, little garden, parking, lovely comfy bed, cosy log burning stove, plenty to read and a decent size TV. What more could we want?
Thanks. We'll be back
We really loved this cottage. My children didn't want to leave. The walk down to the village was great and we enjoyed our stroll down to Craster on a few evenings having supper in The Jolly Fisherman and the restaurant next to Robson's smokery. Hardly used the car. When we did, we didn't have to travel very far to find interesting little villages, a local pub and a fabulous beach. This was our first time in Northumberland and we're now hooked. The children have asked for us to come again next summer
Close to Craster, close to Bamburgh, close to Alnwick. A great little location for this cottage. Perfect for us as we were out exploring somewhere new every day
The cottage was great. No problems at all and we felt it was our home for the week. We settled in very quickly and were very impressed with the décor and the whole service provided by Coastal Retreats. So different from other holiday companies. We really felt looked after and knew we could call Coastal Retreats at any time if we did have a problem (which we didn't).
Best website. Best customer care. Best service. Best cottage for the week we needed. Thanks to everyone who looks after the Ale House and keep up the good work!
Clean, comfortable, cosy, warm, stylish, full of character and in a good location for exploring the area and walking down into Craster
I was very happy indeed with the Ale House. I appreciated the quality of the welcome pack , the lovely fluffy towels and quality sheets and such a well equipped kitchen .
We will use you again
We have stayed in many holiday cottages and villas over the years and the Old Ale House is amongst the very best. Very impressed with your standards and will not hesitate to use Coastal Retreats again