Tughall Steads, near Newton by the sea
This former farmworker’s cottage sits on the edge of this coastal farm steading with open views over fields. Its three bedrooms centre around a cosy and characterful living/dining room with original stone inglenook and logburner.
With gardens front and back it can be enjoyed by couples, children and even four-legged friends are welcome. Can be booked with neighbouring The Forge for a party of up to 7 guests
- Light simple Interior design scheme with unusual wallpapers, painted furniture, oak flooring and original artworks
- Living room with deep comfy sofa and large cast iron log burner in a stone inglenook surround
- Lovely enclosed lawned garden with patio, table and chairs and open views over countryside towards the sea in the distance
- Cosy and characterful throughout with echoes of its history
- Laundry facilities in detached stone outhouse
- Welcomes a well-behaved dog on request ( fee applies)
- Guest Leisure Club Membership (admission fee applies)
All single storey
- Entrance Hallway
- Living/dining room with stone inglenook and logburner
- Fully fitted galley kitchen
- Master bedroom with king-sized bed and views over the garden
- Second bedroom with flexible zip and link- full size 3ft twins or superking beds ( please request when booking or these will be as found)
- Small 3rd bedroom with single bed off the hallway – away from the other bedrooms
- Fully tiled family bathroom with bath and shower over
- Garden with patio area
- Outhouse shared with neighbouring The Forge with laundry facilities and storage
- Parking for 2/3 cars
To see how The Smithy is positioned in relation to the other Coastal Retreats properties at Tughall Steads, see the adjacent aerial image and site plan.
Please note floor plans are not to scale but for illustration purposes only
Prices and Availability
The hamlet of Tughall Steads is a collection of converted stone farm buildings and is mainly holiday homes. The houses are surrounded by open countryside and a 5 minute drive will take you to the beach at either Beadnell or Newton by the sea. It is ideally situated for access to Bamburgh to the north and Craster to the south. It is located next to our other cottages – Garden Cottage and The Forge plus our other Tughall properties.
If you happen to look at Tughall Steads on google earth, please note that the apparent ‘airstrip’ shown nearby was last used in 1948!
For further information on the area, see our Tughall Steads section
See here what’s included in our Retreats stays
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm ( 3pm from Nov-March)
Great for a family but the flexible bed arrangement means it is equally suited to 2 couples. Would work well booked with the neighbouring retreat The Forge- for example a family in The Smithy with grandparents having their own space in The Forge!
An ideal family holiday cottage with a pleasant garden with swing ball and sit on tractor. A travel cot (please bring your own cot linen) and highchair are available on request. The small 3rd single bedroom is off the hallway away from the other bedrooms so would be more suitable for a teenager rather than a toddler.
Full oil central heating and logburner in the living room
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
lovely views from the lounge, main bedroom and garden. A perfect place to sit with a glass of wine in the evening
Really liked Tughall Steads, central for everything but nicely tucked away
Lovely cosy cottage