Tughall Steads, near Newton by the sea
A large and welcoming get together barn conversion created from stone farm buildings. Inside and out, it has ample space and a relaxed atmosphere to welcome groups of friends or family for memorable holidays together.
An extremely spacious central open plan living/dining area is ideal for entertaining and leads to the very well equipped kitchen area. The indoor games room provides a haven for younger guests whilst the ground floor living space leads out onto a large rear garden for outdoor play or al fresco eating, giving views over open countryside. Indoor and outdoor space galore, ample bathroom facilities, and with the beach just a few minutes drive away, this house has all you could wish for.
Additional ensuite shower room added for 2018, making a total of 4 bathrooms
- Two ensuite shower rooms, one house bathroom and one house shower room
- Games room/den provides space for the children to relax
- Dining table to seat 10 and kitchen table to seat 8 - can be put together for group dining
- Lots of space for everyone to gather but also find a private corner
- Huge garden with table tennis table
- Quiet countryside location but just minutes from the sea
- Easy to book with surrounding cottages depending on your party size and needs
- Leisure Club Membership (admission fee applies)
- High Mill is the best house at Tughall Steads for social get togethers as the open plan area provides a decent entertaining space
- Large open plan social area linking living, dining and kitchen spaces
- Exceptionally spacious open plan living room/dining room/kitchen
- Separate utility/laundry/drying room
- Shower room/WC
- Games room/den with two sofas, bean bags, TV and small pool table
- Master bedroom with additional single bed and ensuite shower room
- Double bedroom with king size bed, ensuite shower room and views over the rear garden
- Triple room with three full size single beds (ideal kids dormitory)
- Twin bedroom with children’s theme and full size single beds
- Family bathroom with bath and separate shower
- Outdoor table tennis table
- Large fenced lawned garden and patio area with table and chairs
- Private parking for 2/3 cars with additional parking in communal areas
- Some outdoor children’s toys
To see how High Mill is positioned in relation to the other Coastal Retreats properties at Tughall Steads, see the adjacent site plan.
Please note floor plans are not to scale but for illustration purposes only
Prices and Availability
The hamlet of Tughall Steads is a collection of converted stone farm buildings and is mainly made up of holiday homes. The houses are surrounded by open countryside and a five-minute drive will take you to the beach at either Beadnell or Newton by the Sea. It is ideally situated for access to Bamburgh to the north and Craster to the south. It is located close to our other cottages The Hemmel, The Wood Store and Moo House. If you happen to look at Tughall Steads on google earth, please note that the apparent ‘airstrip’ shown nearby was last used in 1948!
For further information on the area, see our Tughall Steads section
Please note: This house is a family owned holiday home and as such is unsuitable for holding large parties. Small gatherings are, of course, welcome but no ‘open house’ please! Tents, hot tubs and mobile homes on the property are not permitted. Please refer to our large group advice list for further information.
See here for what’s included in our Retreats stays
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
Facilities particular to High Mill
Indoor games room, outside table tennis table and garden toys.
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm (3pm from Nov-March)
High Mill is great for two or three families holidaying together or large family/friends groups. It is immediately adjacent to some of our other properties and so could be booked together for even larger groups.
This property is children’s heaven and fully deserves its 5 starfish child-friendly rating. Internally younger children are catered for in a first floor kids’ bedroom with small alcove with beanbags and cushions. Downstairs children of all ages will appreciate the games room with pool table, TV/DVD etc. Externally there is a large enclosed lawned garden with an outdoor table tennis table. Travel cot (please bring your own cot linen) and highchair are available on request.
There is full oil central heating and a logburner in the lounge.
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
Loved the spaciousness of High Mill. It meant we never felt on top of each other as we all had our favourite nooks and seating areas
We have had such an amazing holiday, due in part to the lovely weather, the superb scenery, the fun we had on the beach most days but mainly due to the comfort of this gorgeous house. We felt at home from the moment we arrived and really didn't want the holiday to end
So much space. The photos don't do the house justice
We all had an absolutely wonderful week celebrating our Golden Wedding Anniversary. Splendid accommodation and facilities, particularly for our grandchildren who had a ball with all the toys and games
Fab accommodation, excellent sized living space, safe garden with good garden games in a great area. Friends booked The Wood Store and joined us for most meals which was perfect.
We've just come back from a 3 night stay at High Mill for a hen party and what a fantastic place. An incredibly spacious high spec property that accommodated 8 of us comfortably. Blessed with beautiful weather we were able to enjoy the local golf courses before returning to our cottage for the evening. 3 bathrooms were perfect for us, comfy beds and peaceful surroundings - we had a ball.