Drive past Craster’s picturesque harbour, and take a right at the village pub.
A row of quaint whinstone cottages runs up the hill, but sneak behind them, into the driveway of Red Herring, and you’ll find a spacious haven of contemporary design within a 200 year old shell – not quite what you’d be expecting.
The designer owners have immersed themselves in the character of this former school house, to bring it back to life, acknowledging original features but adding their own style print to meet their exacting demands for a holiday home. The interior remodelling reflects their awareness of light and space and their love of Craster and all things coastal. Flexible bed arrangements in Bedroom Two make this house suitable for both couples or a family with children, with a log burner adding all year round appeal.
You’ll find a hint of the Nordic in Red Herring, with carefully chosen colours, unique contemporary bespoke furniture pieces handcrafted from locally sourced timber such as sycamore and elm, and the odd upcycled vintage item too.
- Central village location just 100m from the harbour and pub
- Beautiful character cottage with original features
- Two bedrooms, two bathrooms
- Parking for two cars - a rarity in Craster
- Open plan living kitchen dining area opening onto outdoor seating and cooking area
- Master bedroom with exposed roof timbers, ensuite shower room and Juliet balcony to sea views over the rooftops
- Bedroom two with flexible bed arrangements (twin or super king -please request on booking) and adjacent bathroom
- Enclosed and private south facing outdoor landscaped garden and parking
- Great walks from the doorstep - Dunstanburgh Castle to the north and Howick to the south
- Logburner in original inglenook
- Contemporary fitted kitchen with integrated appliances
- Utility space with washer/dryer
- Living area open plan to kitchen/dining area with doors to garden/patio area
- Log burner with original inglenook surround
- Small utility cupboard
- Master bedroom with king size bed and ensuite shower room
- Bedroom Two with zip/link twin or superking bed (please select on booking otherwise will be ‘as found’)
- House bathroom with bath and shower over
- Parking for two cars leading to landscaped seating area and planting
- Patio with table and seating
Prices and Availability
See here for what’s included in our Retreats stays
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm (3pm from Nov-March)
Children at Red Herring
Children are made welcome here. Travel cot (please bring your own cot linen) and highchair available on request.
Ideal for a family or 4 adults as the two bathrooms allow each bedroom its own facilities.
It is immediately adjacent to The Arch and would suit 2 families holidaying together but is also just a stone’s throw from another two of our retreats, Coastguard’s Cottage up the hill and Harbour Master’s House on the seaward side
Full electric central heating with logburner in the living room.
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
We were so impressed with every aspect of our holiday, from the ease of booking, information provided, standard of accommodation & location of the property that we wouldn't hesitate booking with you again.
We had such a lovely, relaxing time and came home thoroughly refreshed. We have been to Craster before so we knew the area and the location of Red Herring was ideal. The property has been beautifully renovated, with care and attention to detail, congratulations on a wonderful restoration.
The property was immaculately clean and tidy and has been furnished to a very high standard. It was so comfortable and we really enjoyed just sitting quietly reading some of the books and magazines provided. They provided lots of ideas for our future visits to the area, which we are already planning!
We've had a wonderful holiday thank you. Red Herring is superb. We watched the renovations over the months and were very impressed with the standard, the layout, the attention to detail, the decor, the comfort of the beds etc. We will book again