The Old Paper Mill
near Beamish, Durham and Newcastle
Half a mile down a small woodland track, this unusual stone mill renovation will suit nature lovers and style lovers alike. A real rustic bolthole, its tranquil woodland setting means that guests might sit in the conservatory and watch a deer in the woods or see a red kite flying above. At only half a mile from the famous Derwent Walk, you can enjoy walks which stretch the length of the valley. Internally, the renovation has been completed with attention to detail to the highest standards by the owners who live in the neighbouring property – although please note that guests are assured of complete privacy and independence, with their own private outdoor space, and the property is some distance from the main house.
- Quiet woodland location with walks from the door
- 'Comfortable chic' styling with muted rustic tones
- Great location for visits to Beamish Museum, Gibside National Trust, Durham and Newcastle
- 250 year old former paper mill, restored with great care
- Log burning stove and state of the art biomass heating system
- Ideal couple's retreat with room for a baby or toddler too (on request)
- Bedroom with king sized bed and TV with built-in DVD
- Bathroom with bath and separate shower cubicle
- Kitchen has fridge/freezer, integrated dishwasher, electric oven and ceramic hob, microwave and washer/dryer
- Private courtyard seating area and space to store bikes
- Private parking for one car ( or two small cars)
- Glazed entrance conservatory and sitting area
- Open plan living/dining area, with TV and a log burning stove
- Hand-painted kitchen area with large ceramic butler style sink, fitted ceramic hob, oven and dishwasher, freestanding fridge/freezer and washer/dryer. There is a dining table with Seagrass chairs.
- The staircase leads up to the bedroom area with dual aspect windows, white painted furniture, bespoke wardrobes fitted to the eaves, painted in subtle tones, and a grand feature king-sized bed. TV with built-in DVD player
- A contemporary style bathroom leads off the bedroom with a large double-ended bath and free-standing shower cubicle.
- Double doors from the conservatory lead to a patio with outdoor furniture and barbecue, gravelled and planted area and cobbled parking space.
Please note floor plans are not to scale but for illustration purposes only
Prices and Availability
Just 25 minutes drive from Newcastle and 35 minutes from Durham city, this Derwent Valley cottage enjoys all the benefits of rural living but offers easy access to many attractions nearby. Guests are amazed that such wonderful and unspoilt countryside can be found so relatively close to the city. The coast-to-coast cycle route, also known as the Derwent Walk passes within half a mile of The Old Paper Mill.
The valley has also recently become known for the latest release of red kites which can be seen circling The Old Paper Mill woodland on a regular basis.
The world-famous Beamish Museum is just a 10 minute drive away and National Trust lovers will enjoy the proximity of the Gibside Estate, with its gardens, historic buildings, farmer’s markets and Friday and Saturday ‘pub’ nights where local Wylam Brewery ales are served just outside the walled garden. Sit by the warming braziers while you wait for your pizza order from the on site wood-fired pizza oven.
An hour’s drive from The Old Paper Mill will get you to Bamburgh and the Northumberland coast to the north, or Weardale to the south.
For further information on the area, see our Newcastle and Durham section.
See here for what’s included in our Retreats stays
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
No pets allowed at The Old Paper Mill
Additional facilities particular to The Old Paper Mill
Breadmaker, outdoor bike storage, hose/tap for washing down boots or bikes.
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm ( 3pm from Nov-March)
Ideal for a couple seeking a quiet countryside haven with walks from the doorstep, but still within easy reach of Newcastle and Durham. Very close to Beamish Museum, Tanfield Railway & the Derwent Walk and even the famous Metro Centre is only 15 minutes drive away if retail therapy is part of your holiday requirements. A great base for cyclists, walkers and nature lovers seeking a little luxury. Many of our guests make this part of a two-centre holiday with a few days at The Old Paper Mill before or after a sojourn in one of our coastal or Scottish retreats.
A popular honeymoon cottage and an interesting photo shoot or film location.
This is really a couple’s cottage but a travel cot (please bring your own bedding) and highchair are available on request. A toddler bed can be made up on request for an older child in the bedroom (£25 charge applies).
Full central heating via state-of-the-art biomass boiler and logburner in the living room.
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
The access lane is a half a mile along a private woodland track – no tarmac here and one or two potholes depending on the weather and time of year, so if you are excessively precious about your car, or you have a low slung vehicle, you may wish to go very slowly or find another retreat. In very snowy weather, you may not be able to park at the cottage and may have to leave your car at the end of the track, unless you have a 4 wheel drive car which makes access a lot easier.
Once a year, at hay making time, guests will have extra noise and tractors passing as this is the farmer’s route to his hay store. The Old Paper Mill is detached, but the owner’s house is about 50 metres behind it and up a drive and you will see the owners drive past to their house and the occasional horse and tractor. Washer dryer rather than a separate tumble dryer. No landline but there is unsecured Wi-fi.
We have stayed in cottages all over the UK with various different companies, but Coastal/Country retreats has been the best by far.
The Old Paper Mill was absolutely perfect, immaculately clean and had everything we could have wished for....Brilliant.
We stayed at The Old Paper Mill after our wonderful wedding at The Black Horse Beamish. It was just the perfect start to married life! Thank You!
We loved it! So tastefully furnished and decorated. Wish you could come and do our house!
We arrived jet-lagged and world weary and left relaxed, refreshed and totally enamoured with Northumbria and The Old Paper Mill. Thank you. It was perfect
Oh that all holiday cottages could be like yours!
We have had a wonderful return visit. So pleased we came for a whole week this time! We even managed to see the deer as we were having our cup of tea in the conservatory!
Arriving to the warmth, lamplight and background music, we knew we wouldn't be disappointed by The Old Paper Mill, and indeed we weren't. The cottage is beautiful, the personal touches charming and the attention to detail admirable