£546 per week
- 250 year old renovated paper mill dating back to the 1700s
- Log burning stove and state of the art biomass heating system
- Bedroom with king sized bed and TV with built-in DVD
- Quiet woodland location with walks from the door
- Great location for visits to Beamish Museum, Gibside National Trust, Durham and Newcastle
- Ideal couple's retreat with room for a baby or toddler too (on request)
- Private courtyard seating area and gated space to store bikes
- Glazed entrance conservatory and sitting area
- Open plan living/dining area, with TV and a log burning stove
- Hand-painted kitchen area with large ceramic butler style sink, fitted ceramic hob, oven and dishwasher, freestanding fridge/freezer and washer/dryer. There is a dining table with seagrass chairs.
- The staircase leads up to the bedroom area with dual aspect windows, white painted furniture, bespoke wardrobes fitted to the eaves, painted in subtle tones, and a grand feature king-sized bed. TV with built-in DVD player
- A contemporary style bathroom leads off the bedroom with a large double-ended bath and free-standing shower cubicle.
- Double doors from the conservatory lead to a patio with outdoor furniture and barbecue, gravelled and planted area and cobbled parking space.
Please note floor plans are not to scale but for illustration purposes only.
- Full central heating via state-of-the-art biomass boiler
- Log burner with a starter supply of logs
- Bedding and bath towels
- Starter supply of kitchen roll, dishwasher tablets, toilet roll, washing up liquid, salt and pepper
- Sewing kit
- First Aid kit
- Travel cot and high chair
- Cooker and hob
- Kitchen and tableware
- Coffee maker
- Bread maker
- Iron and ironing board
- Vacuum cleaner
- Mop, bucket, dustpan and brush
- Tea towels
- Dish cloths
- Oven gloves
- Smart TV
- Books and magazines
- Outdoor table and chairs
- Bike storage area and outside tap
- Key safe for independent arrival
Extra linen and towels (charges apply)
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE
Arrival: 4pm (3pm from Nov-March)
The access lane is a half a mile along a rough private woodland track - no tarmac here and one or two potholes depending on the weather and time of year, so if you are excessively precious about your car, or you have a low slung vehicle, you may wish to go very slowly or find another retreat. In very snowy weather, you may not be able to park at the cottage and may have to leave your car at the end of the track, unless you have a four wheel drive car which makes access a lot easier.
Once a year, at hay making time, guests will have extra noise and tractors passing as this is the farmer's route to his hay store. The Old Paper Mill is detached, but the owner's house is about 50 metres behind it and up a drive and you will see the owners drive past to their house and the occasional horse and tractor. Washer/dryer rather than a separate tumble dryer. No landline but there is unsecured Wi-Fi.
All of our Retreats are non-smoking.
Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
Terms and Conditions
To assist you in finding the perfect place to stay, we have awarded our cottages a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum style rating. This is based on our own standards and the award is given according to a mixture of criteria - location, aesthetic appeal, standard of luxury, facilities offered and style factors.
For example, a Platinum award goes to our most stylish and all round exclusive properties and a Bronze award may go to a cottage that may be a little less refined in places but still meets the high standards necessary to fit into the collection.
THE OLD PAPER MILL IS A GOLD RETREAT WITH A 2 STAR CHILD FRIENDLY RATING
This is really a couple's cottage but a travel cot (please bring your own bedding) and highchair are available on request. A toddler bed can be made up on request for an older child in the bedroom (£25 charge applies).
Click here to see all of our Christmas and New Year arrival and departure dates.