Tughall Steads near Newton by the sea
Call it ‘glamping’, call it ‘glamavanning’ – whatever the term, this is no ordinary holiday cottage.
Huge, it is not, but tucked into a quiet corner of this coastal farm steading, this cannily renovated couple’s retreat – the former Blacksmith’s forge – has charm, character and romance in spade-loads. Incorporating carefully thought out space-saving design, this studio style space manages to offer full kitchen facilities, a king-sized bed, bathroom and logburner with cosy seating.
An ideal romantic retreat, but it’s also a perfect cottage for those looking at holidaying solo. We have already welcomed an artist looking for peace and quiet to be able to draw and an author looking to chill and relax whilst researching their book.
- Think Shepherd's Hut.... think 'Glamping', but without the canvas and with a whole lot more of the 'glam'
- Old stone building with vaulted ceiling and exposed roof trusses
- Your own garden with views over open fields to watch the sun go down
- Welcomes a well-behaved dog ( fee applies)
- Fitted kitchen incorporating fridge/freezer, 8 setting dishwasher, full sized electric cooker,ceramic hob and extractor hood & microwave
- French double doors link the internal area to the lawned garden, perfect for barbecues and outdoor eating in the warmer months
- Washing machine and dryer in separate small laundry outhouse shared with The Smithy
- Large flat screen TV/DVD player and cream ceramic logburner
- Guest Leisure Club Membership (admission fee applies)
All on one level
- One single storey space incorporating, kitchen, dining, sleeping and seating area
- Compact bathroom with bath and shower over
- Private parking and lawned garden with outdoor furniture overlooking open countryside
- Detached utility room with laundry facilities in stone outhouse shared with The Smithy
To see how The Forge is positioned in relation to the other Coastal Retreats properties at Tughall Steads, see the adjacent site plan.
Please note floor plans are not to scale but for illustration purposes only
Prices and Availability
The hamlet of Tughall Steads is a collection of converted stone farm buildings and is mainly holiday homes. The houses are surrounded by open countryside and a 5 minute drive will take you to the beach at either Beadnell or Newton by the sea. It is ideally situated for access to Bamburgh to the north and Craster to the south. It is located near to our other cottages Garden Cottage and The Smithy.
If you happen to look at Tughall Steads on google earth, please note that the apparent ‘airstrip’ shown nearby was last used in 1948!
For further information on the area, see our Tughall Steads section
See here what’s included in our Retreats stays
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm ( 3pm from Nov-March)
This cottage makes an ideal couple’s hideaway, simple as that. It could also be useful as an annexe to some of our other Tughall properties where room for an extra couple is needed, for example for those staying at The Smithy or Garden Cottage. Would also make an ideal choice for those holidaying alone.
Pets at The Forge
One small well-behaved dog is welcome at The Forge.
PLEASE NOTE – In the interests of the cottages, and future guests, we respectfully ask that, before bringing a pet to one of our cottages, guests will read and accept our Conditions of Stay
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facilities as accurately as possible, the décor, furnishings and facilities shown in images and video tours may occasionally be subject to minor change.
This an old forge with all the quirkiness of an old building. Make no mistake, the space is compact (limited/hardly any storage space for personal items so travel light), the space either side of the bed is tight, but it’s well planned and full of cosy character. The laundry facilities are not in the cottage itself but in the adjacent stone outbuilding shared with a neighbouring cottage. If you like space then this cottage isn’t for you!
A perfect little space for my holiday solo in Northumberland. It felt like home straight away
We were prepared for a small cottage. We weren't prepared to be blown away by this gorgeous little hideaway. We loved it!
Tiny little unusual place to stay with everything we could possibly need. We loved the little garden and patio space overlooking the fields and the sheep
It looks amazing. Can’t believe the transformation
We stayed at The Forge on a recommendation from friends about the high standards of this little compact cottage, perfect for two!