The Old Gardener’s
Gardeners can leave their fork and trowel behind, and enjoy a relaxing stay in the midst of some of Craster’s gardening history. This is one, in a small row of cottages, dating back to the late 19th Century, formerly given as living accommodation to the gardener at the nearby historic Craster Tower. With both front and rear outdoor areas, catching the sun all day long, you can see little glimpses of how the current owners have paid homage to the modest gardening heritage of this home, turning small unlawned spaces into places to relax and enjoy the distant sea air.
Inside, the feel is most definitely that of a cottage, with cosy period features but also an air of luxury, and guests are left in no doubt that The Old Gardener’s is both well-cared for and loved by its current custodians.
- A well-loved period home with tasteful hints of coast and country throughout the decor
- Lovely sitting out areas to the front and rear of this home
- Distant views from the upper floors of Dunstanburgh Castle and the coast
- Three bedrooms and 2 bathrooms offering flexible accommodation for different guest combinations
- Within 10 minutes walk of Craster with its harbour, pub, restaurant and art gallery
- Just a stone's throw from The Cottage Inn for a traditional pub meal and a pint
- Just a couple of hundred metres from another Retreat The Old Ale House, for those wanting to holiday near friends or family
- Good sized living accommodation and logburner for all-year round holidays
- Ocean Leisure Club membership (entry fee applies)
- One well-behaved dog accepted (Charge applies)
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Conservatory entrance hall, with small sitting area
- Characterful living room with logburner
- Fully equipped dining kitchen
- Master bedroom with antique kingsize bed and ensuite shower room
- Twin bedroom
- Family bathroom with roll-top bath and separate shower enclosure
- Double bedroom in the eaves of the house
- Front garden off the living room with flower beds and picnic table
- Rear decked seating area with flower pots and BBQ area
- Off street parking for one car outside the cottage (additional cars can be parked in the off-street carpark of the nearby Cottage Inn by prior arrangement)
Prices and Availability
Set in the small village of Dunstan, just outside of Craster. Just a stone’s throw from local hostelry, The Cottage Inn, and a couple of hundred meters from another Coastal Retreat The Old Ale House, the cottage enjoys a quiet location within 15 minute’s walk via a pathway to the sea at Craster. There are distant views of the coast and Dunstanburgh Castle from the top floor bedroom of The Old Gardener’s.
See here what’s included in our Retreats stays.
What else is at The Old Gardener’s
Nespresso coffee machine
Please note that all of our cottages are non-smoking properties.
This is a dog-friendly cottage. Dogs must be declared on booking (£30 charge applies)
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: 4pm ( 3pm from Nov-March)
A family or couples who appreciate being within walking distance of a pub and the sea.
Children at The Old Gardener’s
Children are welcome at this cottage but the enclosed garden areas are not lawned.
Travel cot (please bring your own cot linen) and highchair are available on request.
Full oil central heating and log burner
Please note: Whilst we take great care to represent our properties and their facil